Monday, January 18, 2010

Shop Talk: Twinkle Cakes

As a cake designer, I'm always delighted and amused when I see cake and cupcake toys "out there" in Retail Land. Sometimes, I'll even invent them in my head. One day while browsing some play food at Pottery Barn Kids, waiting for my girls to finally get tired of playing with their luxurious pretend kitchen and washing machine, I thought of a great idea for a kids' cake toy: a plain felt cake that you could decorate over and over again. Because that is the magic of felt of course--it sticks to other pieces of felt with no adhesive necessary.

Well, great minds think alike. Someone else already invented my awesome cake toy idea:



I swear to you, this is exactly what I was thinking of! Unfortunately, I'm not the greatest of sewers, so this idea would probably have languished in my head for years more, unrealized. I'm so tickled that some Mom jumped on her sewing machine and actually created a felt cake! Twinkle Cakes, to be exact.

And when your budding little baker gets tired of the shape/color/number of cake decorations she has, you can buy more packs of them. Brilliant.

I haven't ordered one yet, but I think they are the cutest creative playthings. And best of all, they're zero calories!

No comments:

Post a Comment