Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Shop Talk: Kitschy, Kitschy Cute Fred Flare

I've been recuperating fairly well in the week since my double surgery, and entertaining myself with the Food Network, iPod app games and online shopping. While I'm heartily sick of sitting and laying on my couch, I have to admit I've gotten quite a bit of Internet shopping done!

So today's Shopping Talk pays homage to all the kitschy and cutesy gift shops and novelty stores I loved when I was growing up, especially places like Spencer's. These were the places in the mall where you could count on finding those really unique and fun "things." It's hard to really stand out now like Spencer's did 25 years ago, but I've found the "funnest" site filled with enough kitsch and cuteness for my heart's content.

Viola! Fred Flare, whose tagline on a Google search is "stay cute." Indeed. I am 11 years old again while browsing every little thing they offer. They have some notable kitsch, like the Hamburger Phone as seen in Juno, and some things you haven't seen yet but will make you smile. Especially the retro stuff.

Some random favorites:
I can't get over how cute these are!

I owned these very same sunglasses (red). Bought in the French Quarter in 1983! Wore them until they literally fell apart. Memories!

I need this. I really do. Now I'll have something to carry my Sweetest Whimsy earnings to the bank.

There's a little something for everyone at Fred Flare, but it's really for the gals, with their wide selection of jewelry, clothing and accessories. I love how their stuff is both old and new at once, like the Mix Tape Flash Drive:
Make your sweetie a Mix Tape, like the 'olden days'.

Because everything old is new again, there's Fred Flare to make it all fun for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment