Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Brain Food for the Bluestocking

Image from BasBleu.com

No blogging for nearly a week! I was caught up in several pressing projects on the home front and then out of town for a cake decorating seminar. But I'm back again, with a little bit of energy left for blogging!

I learned about this charming, quirky online bookstore (they also have a print catalog) when I received a single catalog in the mail from them a few years ago. I never bought anything, although I was sorely tempted, because I was going through a self-imposed book-buying diet. However, I kept the very interesting catalog for a long while, just for browsing.

The name of the company is Bas Bleu, which is French for "bluestocking." What is a bluestocking, you might ask? A bluestocking was an 18th century term for a "literary lady." By the way, it was not quite flattering to be labeled a bluestocking in those days, when women were expected to be as frilly as the outfits they wore. These were women who would rather sit at home reading or discussing literature wearing their most comfortable old country clothing, such as their blue woolen stockings. Thus, bluestockings.

Anyway, since this is a blog about paper and gifts, Bas Bleu fits in well. They sell books you've read or heard of alongside ones you probably haven't but definitely would like to now that you've read their thoughtful reviews. I enjoy the reviews and recommendations very much; it's like browsing an independent bookstore in my own city and chatting with the owner (if only we had more than a couple of these here in San Antonio!).

Another thing I like about Bas Bleu is the carefully and thoughtfully chosen selection of books they offer. Amazon or Barnes & Noble they are not. They do have their own loyalty program, similar to the big-box stores', which offers free shipping and discounts on books. So they can play like the big boys in that respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment